Thursday, May 29, 2008

Another normal day in Boulder

Since returning, we've continued staying busy with household chores and improvements and getting outside and assorted other things. A few days ago, I thought I'd drive over to where my colleague Finn Esbensen used to live. The mapquest map made it look easy. It couldn't take more than 20 minutes round-trip I thought. So off I went. The weather was awful! Foggy, misty, blecky. This photo was taken on Lee Hill Road immediately after turning off of 36. There are mountains behind that fog!



But I continued. Even after I got lost up there, I kept going. I finally got to his old street, Brook Circle, but the numbering of the houses were crazy! They were not in any order. I may have seen his house, but I'm not sure. I'll try yet again to go and grab some photos when the weather is nicer.

Yesterday we rode our bikes to Jamestown. The entire ride involved about 1700' to 1800' vertical gain and a 40 mile round trip. It was my biggest vertical day yet. The ride was sort of funny because just the day before I'd been lost on many of the same roads looking for Finn's house. When we got to Jamestown, we grabbed some tea at the local store and watched town-life. It was quite fun. Then we returned up one last hill and road home somehow missing all the rain. I slept like a comatose person last night after it. It might also have had something to do with the violent wipe-out I had in the driveway before we left. I have some spectacular bruising on my hip (again). Gack.

When we returned from our ride, on the front porch was one of the baby House Sparrows that had fledged that morning. The nest is on the front porch and it's been a treat watching the parents feed the young. This poor little guy didn't look good. He was weak, eyes closed, and cold.





Dave warmed the little guy in his hands and a heating pad. Then we were able to get him to drink a little warm water and swallow a tiny bit of food. His swallowing reflex wasn't working at all. Maybe that is why the parents weren't dealing with him. We made him comfortable in a warm box and decided to take him to Greenwood Animal Rehabilitation in the morning. They'd have the necessary tools to get the little bird to eat and eventually release him to the wild.

Once the baby bird was settled in, we continued with some chores. Dave needed several things hemmed, and some other repairs to clothing. I worked on these with my "helpful" assistant Pente. It was hardest trying to iron. Everytime I'd put the garment down to iron, she'd immediately roll on it. Veeeeerrrrryyyyy helpful Pente!



We were happy this morning to find the baby bird much stronger and alert. I drove him to Greenwood first thing where I know he's getting the attention he needs. Hopefully he will make it. I'll call in a day or two to check on him.



Now that the bird is in good hands, Dave is in the camper cleaning it and prepping for out next trip. I'm in the house cleaning (and blogging). We'll leave shortly to go and climb in Eldorado Canyon. It's a gorgeous day and should be lots of fun.



No comments: