Friday, May 23, 2008

5/16/2008 - Indian Creek - Day 6

We got up and had a quick breakfast so we could climb the entire day. We hiked up to the prow portion of the Technicolor wall. Dave checked it out the day before and found there to be far more climbs there than the guidebook noted. This was the first day that there was not a lot of wind and the weather appeared to have stabilized. Further, we found an actual trail up to the prow which saved us time and energy getting to the climbs. Without the trail, going up was more like 'two steps up, slide back down one step, repeat'. Exhausting.

The first route we found was Carruthers. Dave, as usual, waltzed up the thing. I followed in far less elegant fashion. I made it however. This sort of grunting, groveling, moaning my way to the top but finally making, continued to be the theme of my Indian Creek climbing. I don't think I've ever worked so hard on any climbs as I did in Indian Creek. I felt like vomiting on each one from exertion and am really surprised I didn't. Like Dave says, "It's like fun, but different."



Our next climb was called Up 2 top (or something like that). It was yet another wide crack with flaring pods. Are they all that way???





After three or four climbs for me, I was a puddle of goo. I worked so hard on these climbs that when I got to the ground I whimpered a bit. Well, okay, I cried. I was so worked! (But it was fun too which I still don't understand).





Dave then did a beautiful 5.12 finger crack. I wish I wasn't so worked - it would have been fun to be destroyed on this climb.

We walked a bit more and Dave spied what he thought was a 5.10 crack so he hopped on. This route (name unknown) was very deceiving and obviously far harder than 5.10. I heard the same noises I'd been making - though now they were coming out of him. A few were actual words not suitable for print. I'd said the same things many times that day.

With the climbing down, we scrambled back to the campsite and made some delicious turkey spaghetti. It was still another nice evening at Indian Creek. As we sat out and watched the full moon rise, I wonder if the climbing gets easier...



No comments: