Monday, May 26, 2008

Life in Boulder

Since returning, we've kept active (with a couple of rest/work days). First, we've spent a good amount of time with the birds. Dave has done a lot of things to enhance their room. Ferne and Clover love their new cage so much, we can hardly get them to come out. No joke. Here is a rare photo of Clover outside of her cage. You can still see the remnants of a bruise on her beak from being frightened by the middle-of-the-night earthquakes in St. Louis.



We've also played with the non stop crazy Pente here at the house. That cat will climb into, under and onto anything. This is her impression of cat sausage. She crawled into the sleeve of Dave's biking jacket. She wiggled in so tightly we had to pull her out. Nutjob.



And we've done a lot of bike riding. The wind has been treacherous a few days making us cut the rides short. I was certain on my last descent of the NCAR hill I'd be blown to my death.

One fun evening, we headed to a newish restaurant near the house: SOBO. It was fantastic. The flavors, service, all was very good.

We've also headed up the First Flatiron twice. This beautiful rock feature is what is in the background of the photo of me posted earlier upon arriving here in Boulder. A large portion of this climb we do without rope or protection. The summit is gorgeous and it's just a lot of fun. The bulk of the photos on this page are from the climbing at the First Flatiron.







I cannot explain adequately my choice in colors for my clothing on that day. Purple and Orange? Even I know better than that. Or obviously I don't.

Other fun stuff includes some home-improvement projects. The biggest was the installation of two kitchen cabinets. The directions say one needs a screwdriver, a level and a measuring tape. And it would take mere moments to install. Ha! Anyone who knows about home-improvement projects knows it required a quarter-ton of tools, 5 hours, and resulted in a wrecked ladder and multiple curse words uttered. In hind-sight it was hilarious and I wish we had photos.

Finally, we headed out to Boulder Canyon yesterday (May 25th) to do some sport climbing. We climbed at Avalon and went until were were exhausted. Our tips were
also killing us by the end of the day. A fun part of the day is the Tyrolean traverse over Boulder Creek to get to and from the wall. Very cool! I'm looking forward to getting out there more to get my tips hardened and my full level strength back.

Today I am finally getting caught up on the blog. It's raining outside so we've been forced to stay in and get stuff done. Now, I just need to get my work done. We have a busy week ahead of us - we are blasting off to the City of Rocks in Idaho in about two weeks!



No comments: