Monday, June 2, 2008

Pente, the Sparrow, and Ike...

Dave has been in Vancouver, Canada for the last couple of days doing some work. Since he's been gone, it's been quite quiet in the house. Well, except for Pente who has been meowing loudly in protest. During the day she is practicing endless ridiculous poses in her cat bed. She is merely charging up for the night-time assault. Without Dave, she has turned into a night-time-velcro kitty. She has become a pouncing, meowing, head-butting, hand-butting, ear-sniffing, body-licking, breast-kneading terrorist! It's absolutely hilarious - for the first several minutes. I can't be angry with her, she's just needy and she misses her Papa a LOT! She'll be happy when Dave returns this evening. She's resting up for him as I type this. He's no idea what he has in store for him this evening!



I called Greenwood today to check on our little sparrow. Sadly I learned he died two days after I took him there. There must have been something wrong with the little guy. It's so sad! So many baby birds perish every year. I hate that. However, I remind myself of something I read years ago...If every baby bird survived, the earth would be miles deep in birds. Still, it's difficult to see.



Before leaving St. Louis, one of my parrots Ike was adopted out to a nice family living in St. Charles. His mom, Chris, came recommended from Dr. Kersting's, the vet's office. Ike moved to Chrissy's house and really blossomed! He had been dominated seriously by Henri and Henri's jealously. He's stopped talking and I couldn't get near him without Henri going nuts. At Chris' house, Ike has started talking and become very dominant. In fact, his dominance required some attendance at a Parrot Behavior Modification class.



I write this since I got an update about Ike last night. He's doing well. He's still rather angry at the wing/nail/beak trims (he has a slight scissor beak). And he's talking more. Plus, sounds like he is being exposed to more types of food there. At my house, it was all Harrison's Pellets. Hopefully he's still on that wonderful food too. Chris promised to send some updated photos soon. I'll post them when they arrive. For now, here is a nice one of Ike from my photo archives. We all miss him a bunch but know he's in a good place!



1 comment:

Velma said...

Great blog. It looks so great out there.