Monday, June 30, 2008

6/30/08 - The year is half over!

Hard to believe the year is half over already. Time is really flying. I don't want this time in life to end! It's really awesome.

We've been busy having fun and doing stuff around the house. We got up early on Friday morning and climbed the Yellow Spur in Eldo in two long pitches before I had to meet a friend at 11:30. We've been out to Boulder Canyon quite a bit as well. I don't think we've seen a single other climber on any of these trips. I've become much more accustomed to the rock which has been quite nice.



Some of the 'approaches' to the climbing areas in Boulder Canyon have been 'exciting'. The tyroleans are fun of course. The 'cross the rotten log over the rushing creek of death' approaches have been like fun, but different. Today we had to wade across the roaring creek while holding onto a single line. I backed out of the rushing creek, put on my harness and clipped in to the single line. (No redundancy - boo hoo). I'm happy I did it too since some official would be fishing my carcass out of the water downstream about now had I not done so!



And the biking. Lots of fun road biking. I still have no photos of our road biking fun since carrying the camera seems like such a hassle. I wish we'd take it though since we see some really beautiful views on these rides. One day last week Dave did a 103 mile ride. I stayed home and worked (and pouted since I'd rather have been riding). :) On Saturday we road about 83 miles gaining somewhere over 5000' throughout the day. We hit the towns of Lyons, Drake, Glen Haven, and Estes Park. It was quite fun.

We've settled on a multi-day bike tour in southern Colorado. We just don't know the dates yet. We'll invite others to join us. I'm really looking forward to this ride. Plus, we are planning on getting out to California in about a month for some climbing and road biking in the wine country. Looks like we'll have some friends in Cali join us. That should be a blast.

Yesterday was a rest day following the bike ride. We spent it working in the yard, dealing with grass and getting the truck waxed. Pente came out on leash (to the dismay of the area birds) and enjoyed the weather. She also got in some more advanced tree climbing and leash tangling. Only one leash-Houdini move occurred as she escaped the harness and leash. The yard looks really great so far. There is a bit more I'd like to do out there. In time, I'll get it done.





Dave made a screen door for the bird room. This is a great addition since it means their door doesn't have to be closed all the time to protect them from Pente. We are calling Ferne and Clover the bats since they don't like to exit their cave. Having a screen we hope will make them more amenable to the house outside of their room. We'd planned on leaving the door open and screen secured on their room all the time. This plan changed a bit after seeing Pente at the door. Now, the door is open and screen secured only when the cat and birds are supervised. The penalty for error on this interaction is death of a bird (or birds) so we are taking no risks.





The birds have been coming out more when Pente safely locked in a room sleeping. Henri is enjoying the most attention. He demands the most attention. He likes to be in the kitchen in the midst of everything. I've attached a photo of him helping me with my blueberry granola breakfast the other morning. He has quite the attractive blueberry beard. He also helped with a chicken sandwich one afternoon. Check out the big smile on his face!



Henri has really been responding well to Dave's teaching him to say "Almond" when he wants an almond. Before he only used to scream "ARK ARK ARK ARK ARK ARK ARK ARK ARK ARK, etc." I tried to post a video of Henri saying his new word (video failed). He does it immediately for Dave. He goofs off a bit, scratches his head, bobs his head and makes little peeps before I get an "almond" out of him. He knows I'm a sucker for him. I'm being strong and resisting giving up the almond until he says it.

Tomorrow we head out to Devil's Tower in Wyoming and the Needles in South Dakota for a week of climbing. I've not been to either location. I'm really looking forward to it. I see blood and bruises but lots of smiles in my future.



No comments: