Monday, August 31, 2009

08_22_09: Dave hiking in Rocky Mountain National Park

Dave here... So, since the "summer" of '09 has been quite cool, unstable and wet here in CO I haven't had much motivation to head up into the high mountains and get stormed on. However, the forecast for Saturday Aug 22 was for hot and stable weather. So, I packed up a small day-pack with some calories and some clothes, pulled my dusty ice axe out of the closet and headed up to Rocky Mountain National Park for a longish day hike.


I planned to hike from Bear Lake up to the Loch, then over to Andrews creek, slog up Andrew's Glacier to the divide, hike the divide south and then head back down to Bear Lake via the Flattop Mountain trail. The hike is maybe 10 or 11 miles total and covers some really pretty terrain. The weather was great and very few people ventured very far from the parking lot that day, so the hike was nice and quiet.

I enjoyed a trail lunch up on the divide in the company of six bull Elk. One of the Elk had a 14 point rack! I've never seen a rack that large. He was also the most mellow, but still kept an eye on me as I moved to within fifty feet of them, but no closer. The hike down from the divide provided some really nice views. Once down I got to enjoy driving through the throngs of tourists in Estes Park on my way home. It was a really nice way to spend a summer Saturday!

























Free Blog Counter


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave,

Barney Amy and I did that hike in reverse, up flattop down the divide descend Andrew's and race back to bear lake parking lot about 5 or 6 years ago. On the way down Andrew's creek I thought to myself this is steep, only a maniac would choose to hike UP this. Guess I was right. Good value.

- Jim Horst

daveandcallie said...

Hahaha! A maniac is correct. Now you know why I'm not in any of those photos. :)

c