Tuesday, May 5, 2009

5/01/09 - One year away from STL, Grace turns 11, and The Drifting


Today is Grace’s 11th birthday. Can’t believe it’s been 11 years! I dreamed last night that I had four Lilac Crown infants. It was such a pleasure raising the birds. While I don’t want any more birds, I do miss having the babies around. It was one of the best times of my life.

We were up relatively early to head to the Jet Stream Wall. It was quite the steep hike – maybe the steepest of the trip. And no matter how much we hiked, the destination never seemed to get any closer.

We did see a rattlesnake up close. Dave did the snake dance as he yelled "BACK BACK". Dang thing could have bitten him had it wanted to. I took a wide berth.

At long last, we were there. And this climb looked hard. Way harder than the rating. Uh oh.

I climbed up to the first belay position and looked at this climb. I could see real trouble in my future.

Dave came up, clipped the first bolt and down climbed. Then he started up - the move off the belay was ridiculously hard. I couldn’t believe this was an 11c only. Looked more like .13 or something!

Dave hit a point on the route and got stopped. At this time, a couple of guys wandered up. They were from Boulder and knew Dave. This worked out well. They got our rope up and Dave was able to TR the first pitch. I thrutched and spazed up the first pitch. All the while it was raining which didn’t help my head at all. This thing was far too reachy and just too hard for me. A more spectacular failure I’ve never had.

Dave lowered me to the deck. Then we headed out. In the rain. Forever. Blah.

Not exactly what we expected from this day, but we have to take what we get.






Free Blog Counter


No comments: