Tuesday, May 5, 2009

04/23/09 - Ice Box Canyon and Frigid Air Buttress

I think on each trip, I forget something. Nothing terribly important - seems that I forget to bring the jelly more than anything. This trip was different. When we arrived, I found out I failed to bring any climbing tops. None. Zippo. Zero.

This was especially weird since I recall distinctly picking them up and deciding which ones to bring. I remember putting them in a pile. And yet, not one made the trip. So, for the first couple of days, I had to climb in some odd cleavage-inducing clothes. Weird (and made for body parts dragging on the walls).

This morning we hiked in to Ice Box Canyon (same canyon we hiked into on our last trip to Vegas in November). Today our goal was a route called Frigid Air Buttress. This route is about 900’ tall and has about 7 pitches.

There was a party of two on it in front of us. they slowed us up a bit, but they also forced us to relax on the route at the comfy belay stations rather than having to rush rush rush.

There were many nice sections on this climb. And there were a few sections that were difficult for me, still, overall, it was a nice route. The descent was difficult to find, and tedious. We think it took longer to descend the thing than it did to climb it. This was my least favorite portion of the climb.

It was windy all day and only got worse at night. There were times during the night that I was wondering about the probability that the winds would knock the trailer on its side. As the wind hit the trailer, it was making a whistling noise that would vary with wind speed. Suffice it to say, neither of us slept that well that night. But we were certainly happy we were not in a tent!































Free Blog Counter


2 comments:

TheKate said...

Oh my goodness - a comment on your blog! I couldn't just lurk when I had this to say: I have heard of (and even tried to use) smears with every part of the foot, leg smears, butt smears, even a few head smears (none of which made me a better climber) - but boob smears? How did that work out for you?

daveandcallie said...

Boob smears suck! Boobs somehow have velcro like friction making moving difficult. It is not a recommended approach. :)