Wednesday, June 11, 2014

04_22 to 24_2014 Sedona, and other spots in AZ

The Hassayampa River Preserve looked good, but it was closed. :( No birding here for Dave.
A four-wheel drive road bivy about 60 miles northwest of Phoenix. Nice sunset, but beware of the jumping cactus pods!
A deluxe dirtbag dinner at the bivy site.
On the road to Prescott AZ
Arriving at the border in Prescott
A riparian area in the north part of Prescott. I did about an hour bird walk here and saw some good feathered friends. Unfortunately the river feeding the area was bone-dry.
Coming over the mtns east of Prescott, looking down toward the mining town of Jerome (hidden beneath the ridge) and Sedona in the far valley.
One of the main streets in the funky and steep town of Jerome, AZ
Looking back up at Jerome, AZ
Historical sign
Just getting started on a two-three hour mtn bike ride in Sedona. 
Beautiful views, great weather, challenging riding.
The trail I rode goes right by the Cathedral Spires with the Mace on the left side of the formations.Note the gap between the two portions of the Mace which is sometimes done as a 'jump-across' move by climbers. I did this back in the 1980s...I would not do it now! :)
Looking back on part of the trail.
The trail runs along Oak Creek for a short ways. Very pretty area and some of the only flowing water I saw the entire time in AZ.
Another pretty section of the trail.
Still having fun as you can see in this selfie.
Some nice flowers along the way. It was shortly after this that the picture taking stopped due to a gravity incident with my bike.  Ugh. Bouncing off your handle bar end and into a small gully is not recommended.
Another selfie...different feeling.  After crashing, I limped six miles back on the bike, decided to get a cheap hotel to rest better and pounded ibuprofen and iced the impact zone on my chest. It was a fairly painful injury. 
The next day I couldn't ride or climb due to my chest injury so I went for some mellow hiking around Sedona. There are many beautiful trails and it seemed pretty easy to get away from the crowds if you are willing to walk a little further.
One trail in Red Rock Park crosses Oak Creek and there are some  nice birds in the area.  
Another view of the land within Red Rock Park. Beautiful place, almost no other people close to town. What's not to like?

I was fine hiking at a moderate pace and as long as I didn't sneeze my chest didn't hurt too badly.
A view of Oak Creek Canyon from the Rim just south of Flagstaff. Much of this area was recently burned in a 20,000 acre forest fire. Very sad.

No comments: