Sunday, August 8, 2010

08_05_2010 Bear Creek Spire, EARTHQUAKE, HH with friends

Yesterday was a rest day – a real rest day. It involved no hiking, biking, climbing or carrying heavy loads up steep grades. We goofed off a bit in Mammoth Lakes, and had a nice leisurely lunch at an Italian restaurant complete with wine, perrier, calamari, and pesto pizza. Yum. A perfect rest day for sure.


Today was great fun too. Dave got up early to climb Bear Creek Spire. This Spire – 13,741' in elevation is reached after a 6 mile "hike" (i.e., good trail for three miles and three miles of cross-country talus slogging). Once on the Peppermint Saddle, the ridge shoots up for about 1,500' to the summit. He took the NE Ridge staying pretty much on the arete. It was fun flake and crack climbing with big exposure to a small pyramid summit block, maybe 5.4 the way he went. Fantastic views in all directions as the photos show. Happily, he had beautiful weather for this hike & climb.

I opted to hop on my bike. I had big plans when I left, but was hit immediately with early strong winds. I quickly reassessed. I decided to ride up Rock Creek initially, but turned around after a few miles deciding to go for a more mellow ride. Though it’d been a few days since our last ride, I was feeling a bit fatigued. So, I rode the bumpy ride down Rock Creek and turned onto Lake Crowley Drive. It was a perfect day for this ride. In all, it was only about a 22 mile day, but the head winds added some extra work out. And it certainly isn't flat. It was a good choice.

I rode down to where it intersects 395 and turned around. I was tempted to head to Mammoth, but the thought of fighting my way home in the headwinds changed my mind. Lots of riders were out on this same loop. What a nice ride to have out the door.

I arrived back at the trailer and cleaned up since we expected some guests that evening. Coming by were Dave Lane, his wife Jen, and John and Leslie Dittli. We’d met the Dittli’s the prior Thursday while hanging out with Jerry Dodrill and his wife. Turns out the Dittli’s are good friend with Roy and Lisa. I’d not met Jen before this evening. Spending time with these people makes me wish we lived nearer to each other.

Dave arrived home tired and hungry and related his hike up the Peak. He said it was miles and miles of talus! I’m extra happy I didn’t go! As we sat in the trailer, we felt a huge jolt. At first I thought the truck had rolled back into the trailer. Dave wondered in Dave Lane wasn’t messing with us by whacking on the trailer. I went out to investigate. All was fine. I went back in and said “I bet it was an earthquake”. A quick check on the internet showed it was: 3.7 centered SE of Mammoth Lakes (likely Convict Lake).

Wow! It was crazy and the first one either of us ever felt.


Our guests arrived. Pente dressed up in her John Deere Tractor dress – it was a special day for her: Her fourth birthday. Leslie Dittli brought her a California Catnip sock. At first she didn’t seem too interested, but after everyone left, she went bonkers. Days later, that hasn’t stopped. She LOVES that sock!

It was great fun visiting with everyone watching the shooting star show. Next year, we’ll have to all get together again!





















Free Blog Counter


No comments: