Monday, March 15, 2010

03-5-12-2010 Dave chases Hot Climbing in Arizona

Dave here...I decided to squeeze in a week-long trip to the Phoenix area for some hopefully warmer climbing and mountain biking. My plan was to base out of my friend Greg’s house but also do some nice spring-time camping out in the desert.

In reality the week I chose to spend in Arid-zona turned out to be quite different than I hoped for – while I was there the Phoenix area received approximately 20% of its annual precipitation and temperatures were as much as 30 degrees below normal…

The day I left the weather forecast still looked great. But by the time I arrived, it had started to decay…

Regardless, I had a really good time hanging out with some of the Phoenix gang, climbing at some new areas, and mountain biking and hiking some of the local Phoenix trails that were basically in Greg’s backyard. I also spent some time shooting photographs of cactus, and local bird life which was really fun!

Many thanks to Greg and Felicia for their hospitality and the useful local area information. And thanks to Greg - some of the images posted here were taken by him. Greg was nice enough to take me (along with Fred and Quinn) climbing in the Superstition Mountains which offers a unique climbing experience in a true wilderness setting not too far from the Phoenix sprawl.

On the way home from Phoenix, I stopped in Sedona for a day to climb Coyote Tower with one of Greg’s regular climbing partners – Mr. X - and his friend Lydia. This 600’ sandstone climb was on a very cool desert tower. It proved a nice way to end the trip.


























Free Blog Counter


1 comment:

nancy said...

ooh--a Gila woodpecker and a Northern Cardinal, excellent! And nice saguaro shot! And the climbing looks fun, too...