Tuesday, April 10, 2012

04_10_2012 Ground break on New Construction

Today is the day the construction began. We are adding a room onto the front of the house (den/guest bedroom) and we are gutting the kitchen. Going to be a big remodel. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Today's fun with big trucks and machines began with the arrival of the dumpster. It's actually quite an attractive dumpster. I find myself sitting here wondering what it is we have that we need to throw away.

Next came a big truck/trailer with the back ho. And a little Bobcat joined the teams. Things moved really fast. I was trying to take some video and get photos, but no matter which way I pointed a camera, there was stuff going on in some other direction.

Everyone showed up on time and hit the ground running. Even Chris joined in with the demo. As is expected, neighbors came out to watch the controlled destruction. The Back ho started by pulling up our walk way. I won't miss it! Next, he turned to the tree stumps.

All the while, Chris and his friend "Bernard" were busy tearing the deck off the front of the house. In short order the place looked wildly different.

At one point, I got into and drove the back ho. I sure wish Dave could have stayed home to do the same. I know he wanted to be here.I got to remove the final stump - the Ash. Then I just tried to dig a hole in the ground. I didn't think it looked easy to drive one of those things, but I now know it's even harder than it looked. Great fun!

Once I dug up the stump, I got to pick it up and drop it in another spot. Not really necessary, but fun nonetheless.

Once all the stumps and roots and other debris was yanked, it all had to be dumped in a truck. At least two loads of stuff was carried away. Once things started to look settled, they started digging the big hole for the crawl space under the new room.

In doing so, we were happily surprised to learn the water line was where it belonged (depth wise) so no plumbing (or plumbing cost) is needed!

We did discover our foundation sits on caissons (versus footers) so a quick call to the engineer for some changes to the plans were called in. Once they settle on the non-footer foundation, it will be poured. Not sure when but not too long in the distant future. We have time as we are waiting on our windows to arrive to begin framing anyway. Think that will be in about two weeks.

So look for more demo/reno photos in the near future!






Free Blog Counter


No comments: