Monday, September 5, 2011

08_20_2011 Red-Headed Woodpeckers

I learned recently that some Red-Headed Woodpeckers were in the Boulder area. They generally are not. So off we went one morning to try and find them. I didn't have high hopes as the directions I got were "Go to the burned area near Eldorado Spring."

Not too specific. Still, we figured we'd give it a try. Off we went. We saw a few birds here and there. One stood out - a Golden Eagle on a snag in the distance. As I watched this bird (who never moved in the hours we were there), clear as day, a Red-Headed Woodpecker flew directly through my line of sight!

That was amazingly giving of him. :) So we hiked a bit more and pretty soon we saw several. Several adults...several youngsters (brown heads). We saw multiple nest holes. And a lot of feeding.

It was a real treat. The birds didn't let Dave get too close, but he still managed to get several really nice photos. Enjoy!






Free Blog Counter


No comments: