Friday, August 5, 2011

08_01 to 02_2011 Trip to the hospital. Yikes.


You may have noticed me being lazy in Crested Butte. There was a reason for this. Long story short, I'd been feeling bad and had gone to the doctor before we went on this trip. My breathing was awful. My lungs felt constricted and hurt all the time - especially during exercise. Riding was getting way harder, not easier. And on a recent easy ride, I'd started to panic because I couldn't breath. I figured I was entering the world of exercise induced asthma.


I went to the doctor who listened to my story, hooked me up to an EKG machine, and then told me I was to DO NOTHING but walk (and not fast) until I got to the cardiologist. My EKG was awful.

I guess the asthma wasn't asthma after all. Doh. And I guess that tightness and hurting wasn't my lungs - it was my heart.

I went to the cardiologist's office who hooked up the EKG, did an echocardiogram, and sent us directly to the hospital. It was scary and surprising. Me? I have low/normal blood pressure. I have low cholesterol. I exercise. I eat well. I have never smoked. I'm fit. I'm thin. But, I do have genetics that point to "Cardiac Shitus" (I made that term up, don't google it).

Among the problems suggested on the EKG was a high likelihood of clogged arteries and a big fat heart attack at any moment. Yikes. I got admitted, and spent the night. The angiogram was scheduled first thing in the morning. I would likely get a stent or stents, or possibly bypass surgery. Me???

I went in the next morning for the procedure. I was only in for about 30 minutes and out at 9am. It was clear that I had nice clean arteries. Yay. Recovery was tough though. I was in the recovery room about six hours. And I looked pretty crudy the entire time. I don't remember much, but I do recall I said something about how Dave should have taken a photo of me when I passed out. The nurse said I didn't want to see that. I must have looked grim. Grimmer than these photos even. :/

So the question remains why blood is being cut off to my heart and causing nasty problems. And how can this be me? I am young and healthy (okay, healthy. Haha). Hopefully we will find out soon. I have to wait until the femoral vein puncture heals to go back for more tests (this Tuesday). Until then, I am an official couch potato - a very tired couch potato. Boo.



Free Blog Counter


2 comments:

TheKate said...

Oh Callie - we hope they figure out what ails you quickly so that you can return to your super hero activities. We love you.

daveandcallie said...

Thanks Kate. Tell Paul thanks too. Tell Paul I knew I should be able to ride better than I did that day. That was the day I went to the doc and got everyone very excited. Also happy I didn't belly up on Paul during the ride. 8)