Wednesday, December 8, 2010

11_22 to 29_2010 Work and play in Las Vegas, Part I

My quest for warmth continues. This time, I thought I'd done it - 8 days in Las Vegas for climbing. I could imagine the hot sun on my skin, the suntan I'd get, and the relaxation that warmth brings me.

So off Dave and I went to do a little work and play a little too. We stayed at the Dogfather's house again. Why is he called the Dogfather you ask? We'll, because he has a dog. And I mean a DOG. Kappy was 185 but is now a slimmer and more svelte 165. He weighs more than Dave!

The day we arrived we had some time to race to Red Rocks. Dogfather (aka Dick) and I managed to get in several fun 5.10 pitches before it got dark. The weather wasn't hot, but it's wasn't terrible. I would belay in my down and sometimes even climb without it. Not bad. My goal was to climb and lead until I was wrecked. I didn't leave wrecked this day, but did a fair amount of leading - it was a good start. Or so I thought.

Leading - heck, even climbing - wasn't in the cards because following this nice day, the weather cratered. In all, during our trip, it snowed a bit one day, rained a little two other days, several days that were near freezing - all this plus 20+ mph winds pretty much everyday.

Weather misery for sure.

Dick had to leave shortly after we arrived so we got to hang with Kappy. As soon as Dick took off, Kappy turned to Dave and I swear I heard him say "DADDY!" He followed Dave around like a puppy. Dave would sit, and Kappy would sit in Dave's lap (at least as good as a small horse can sit in one's lap). He slept at the foot of the bed (and snored - haha). He was quite cute.

I am not the only one who got in a little bit of climbing. I took some photos of Dave doing some one-armed climbing on a couple of days. It was harder than it looked to be, though he still had a lot of fun.

While the weather was the worst that Vegas had seen in years (it was a major news story there), we still had a lot of fun visiting. A fair number of Boulderites were in town so we met for a happy hour. We spent several nights hanging out with Philo and Joanne and Jorge Urioste which was a blast. And we celebrated Thanksgiving together with a chicken-in-a-bag and Kappy.























Free Blog Counter


No comments: