Sunday, December 25, 2016

09-30 to 10-02_2016 Callie to Columbia University forr Robert Erikson's Symposium

I was very excited to head to New York City for a very special event - the Robert Erikson Symposium at Columbia University.

Bob was the chair of my dissertation (almost 20 years ago!).

The event was to honor all of the contributions to political science over his career.

I was asked to speak about him as a mentor. I worked really hard on my talk. It was more personal and fun to write than all my other presentations.

This photo is of a cathedral in NYC. It's a beautiful place.
I walked from my hotel to the University.  The event was held in the Columbia School of International and Public Affairs.
In the building.
There were several panels during the day on different topics. It was a terrific event, made even better by seeing a lot of people I'd not seen in a long time. One person was Darren Davis (second from left) who completed his dissertation just before I did. He is currently at Notre Dame.
A poster of the event.
Here is Bob and his wife Kathleen Knight (who was also a professor in the department when I was working on my PhD.
Bob's daughter Clese offered several comments during a happy hour immediately after the formal event.
And Bob spoke too. It was a really awesome event. 
A few photos of some in the crowd. Chris Wlezien was a junior professor when I was working on my PhD. He was another of my committee members.
Jim Gibson was also one of my professors. I worked as his RA during grad school. He (left) is pictured with Robert Shapiro during the Happy Hour.
Crowd shot. Nate Silver and his father were there.
Bob.
Kathleen Knight (left).
Jim and Bob.
After dinner, we all headed to a restaurant to continue the celebration. It was an amazing time - so happy to have been a part of it!

No comments: