Friday, July 3, 2015

June 21 to 27 2015, Day XI BTC, Crested Butte to Salida

The last two days of the tour were good and big ones!
Morning came too quickly! It was the coldest morning -  but at 8,865' in elevation, I suppose it should not be a surprise.

We tore down the tent and took off. I blasted a bit before Dave. Here is all that remained before he left - our two duffels and the bike.

I should mention that the pirate flag camp's set us was squashed in the big wind last night. Like I said, I never took my eyes off those cads the rest of the trip!
Today's ride took us through Almont, a fun little fishing town. We'd stayed there many years before: http://daveandcallie.blogspot.com/2009/08/082709-paonia-crested-butte-almont-and.html.

Selfie!
Not long thereafter, I saw Dave approaching. We pulled over and were conveniently next to the climbing at Taylor Canyon. this is a really pretty canyon. I have to say, riding it really shows it better than zooming through it in a car.
Team American Racing!  I can't look at our kits without hearing this in my head: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhnUgAaea4M.

Ha!
Group selfie!
Today's ride takes us over Cottonwood Pass. While we'd ridden it before - it'd also been the other side.  We road it on our fifth anniversary (http://daveandcallie.blogspot.com/2014/06/0613to162014-fifth-anniversary-weekend.html) along with Independence Pass. And just a week before, Dave had done it again.

The side (east side) we've ridden is steeper and all paved. The side for today isn't quite as steep, but it's dirt/gravel! Argh.

Happily it was in decent shape though it had some huge vehicles kicking up a lot of dirt/dust again.
After Taylor Canyon, the first aid station was found. It was ten miles passed the location the guide stated it'd be. People were freaking out! Ha!  I just figured we were ten miles closer to our destination. Today our ride was 91 miles according to the guide....too much of which is on a hot highway which would surely have terrible head winds. I was correct in my thoughts.
View back to Taylor reservoir
Aid station workers. Bev in the alligator hat and her nephew Kelby were a fixture at all aid station 2.
I caught up to Dave here which allowed another photo opp.
Then we blasted off for Cottonwood Pass. The dirt started immediately.

This was a cool (though dusty) pass. It was broiling hot! Here's a cool photo part way up the pass looking down at Taylor Reservoir again.
Above tree line the switchbacks are easy to see.

Cottonwood Pass sits at an elevation of 12,126 feet which I think made it the highest pass of the trip. Independence is a close second at 12,095 feet.
Not surprisingly, there is still snow at the summit.
And there was aid station 3 at the summit. It was pretty windy too.
You can see the line to get a photo taken at the Pass sign.

When I got there, I wanted to use the porta potties, but given the wind and seeing them blown over at Crested Butte I was hesitant. I certainly didn't want my obituary to read that I died in a porta pottie that tumbled down the side of Cottonwood Pass!
At the base of Cottonwood is Buena Vista. Dave stopped for a nice Chai tea and pastry before heading out on the least attractive part of the ride - heading to Salida on highway with ugly head winds.
He got to Salida and set up as I was making my way to town. The winds were brutal and not fun. I did spend some time wondering why I do this on that leg. I can take elevation, elevation gain, distance, heat, rain, hail...but head winds - and these were nasty ones - demoralize me.

I may have been the last person into camp who did not sag (DEATH BEFORE SAG!).  Seriously! The sag carnage was pretty grim on this ride too. Happy that I made it though it was rough!  Jumping in a creek along the was fun. Also, the 91 mile days the guide showed was wrong. It was a century...100 miles.
Our view from our tent in Salida.
Nice sunset
More pretty views
The school we stayed at was new. I imagine we'll see more of Salida on all bike tours in the state.

No comments: