Saturday, April 4, 2015

February 2015? Maybe March? Dave spends some time in Cochise - Part I

So far, 2015 has been a total blur to me. I (Callie here) have been working way too much. Dave has been able to get out and play some which is great. In fact, right now he's on a four-week trip playing out west.

I've been tasked with getting up some photos. I can't believe the last one up was from my DC trips. We are so busy we are not getting up a lot of things.

Now, since I wasn't on this trip, I really don't know the details. I figure I can make some up though! So sit back and enjoy.

Dave hopped in the pop-up and headed south in February I believe. Or was it March? It's a blur. En route, he made a few stops hoping to see some  birds that had begun their migration.

His first stops were in South Colorado or New Mexico. It all looks the same so I won't sweat that detail.

He found some nice birding locations.
And good info...
This stop for an overnight stay turned out to be a sleeper. He'd never stayed there before - heck I don't think he'd ever noticed it before - turned out to have a lot of birds. The campground was nearly empty. Good choice!
The view....
The campsite still. You know you are in a good birding place when you get signs like this.
In New Mexico, he stopped at the Willcox Playa Wildlife Area. This is a wintering spot for the Sandhill Cranes. Dave was hopeful to get to see them - they are quite spectacular.
Getting there was dusty....
And the lake - the entire lake (and it's no small lake) - was dry. In fact, he watched several dust devils spinning off in the distance. Definitely no Sandhills.
So the trip continued to Cochise. Toe-cheese and THOR road with Dave.*



*Okay, I forgot the green lizards name. It may or may not be THOR.
The history marker at Cochise.
Rocks. Lots of rocks.
The area around cochise provided some birding opportunities.
The road to the campsite was slow-going.
Still, it was worth it - great spot!
Dave met a friend, we'll call him THOR to climb with. THOR and Dave headed in for a day of fun!
The route they were after was something here. There are only about 5,000 routes in this photo so I've not narrowed it down much. :)
Dave heads off on pitch one of a route. I think the route's name is THOR'S DELIGHT. Maybe I'm wrong.
THOR heads up another pitch.
Nearing the summit.
THOR checks out the gnar on this pitch.
And here he comes!
Dave is pointing (and the pink arrow shows) the truck and campsite. Pretty cool.
More climbing. Cochise has a lot of slabby stuff - this looks more vertical. And difficult.
At the summit, Dave found a little glider stuck in the tree. THOR caught a cool shot just as Dave pitched the plane off into the distance!
Required summit shots
Dave - you can see Mexico from here!
Great views
Heading off on another climb. This looks like a hideous slabby traverse to start off with. Bleck! Glad I missed it.
Heading to the sky.
THOR coming up. Cool rock on this pitch.
The second summit selfie!
Another one heading up...

No comments: