Thursday, February 12, 2015

02_04_to_08_2015 Blurry Blog Post from DC - Work and the Museum of Natural History

I headed back to DC for some work at American University recently. It was an early bus (5:36am blargy), and a 7:57am flight, but it was nice to get to National Airport pretty early on a gorgeous day.
It was in the 50s, sunny and awesome. It got colder after this...but considering I left a big fat snow storm back home, I was happy to be in the 50s.
My first day, I went to American's School of Public Affairs where I gave a guest lecture in a Research Methods class. The students were excellent, attentive and asked great questions. Plus it's helpful that they laughed at my lame jokes. :)
The next several days included a very cool event focused on  NIBRS/Big Data which was hosted by the School of Public Affairs - and planned/managed by Lynn A.  It was a terrific group including Lynn, myself, John J from the FBI, Wendy R, Jim N, Stan O, Dan B, Mike Maltz, April P and Aki R.  
I spent some time at Lynn's new place where we were treated to some beautiful sunsets. AND we got a ton of much needed work done!
On my last day, we walked over to the Mall and went into the Museum of Natural History (personal favorite) to see the gems, minerals and tectonic plate display. Love that earthquake display!
So many amazing gems.. Necklaces and earrings seen  in painting of aristocrats.
Even photographing them was fun since they put off so much brilliance.
Big honking gems.
A flawless crystal sphere. Gorgeous.
The crystal and other mineral collection is massive and amazing.
Yellow diamonds and huge emeralds.
Sapphires that could light up a dark room
Unbelievable rubies.
Huge emerald (that looks blue in this photo)
A massive collection of diamonds.
Earrings worn by Marie Antoinette
And the amazing Hope Diamond. 
I can't get enough of this museum
Walking back to Lynn's, we pass Nasa who has this clever sign. Cracked us up!
Late Sunday, the plane I was on chased the sunset to the west. Always fun to get to DC. Almost great to get home!

No comments: