Thursday, April 4, 2013

04_04_2013 Renovated Den, snow storm, boxes completed, embroidery...Miscellaneous Blog

Following the big house renovation, one room remained in need of help: the Den. We'd painted it a few years ago so it matched the rest of the house. It looked good, though it was quite dark. It's an oddly shaped room with a weird inset that could have easily been a closet. We used this spot to put my armoire and other things. The room looked nice and was certainly an improvement, but with the renovation, it needed help. Out with the dark...goodbye futon...goodbye armoire...goodbye giant speakers. Hello built ins. We opted to install built-in cabinets instead.

 Mark Cartwright came over to lead the way. Dave helped and I primarily watched and embroidered things onto garments I got my hand on.  The entire installation took only a day although they were working with a tricky corner with weird walls.
 Interestingly, it took Dave as much time to organize what is in the cabinets (climbing gear). It's a massive improvement.
 You saw the before at the top...here are the 'after' shots.  Lighter, brighten, neater and less dusting.  This also freed up the closet in the bird's room so I can put  my sewing things in there versus crawling under the house to get it each time it was needed.  March brought with it our biggest snow storm of the season. I actually missed it as I was stuck in KCMO. What was to be a 50 minute layover turned into an over-night stay. Good to get the moisture.  I embroidered a big dragon on one of Dave's jackets. It turned out great!  Also painted the Flicker's house so it'll look nicer attached to ours. While painting it, I opened the top and got a surprise! Eggs.  Those are pesky Starling eggs. They've been there since last year.  Who knew? Quails, dragons, flowers and other birds adorn many garments now. :) My robe is getting a lot of color. It's a great canvass. Pink dragon. :) Previously neglected shirt has new life breathed into it! (My hair in that photo could use some new life!). And finally, Dave finished a couple of dove-tail boxes. An earlier blog showed him working on them. One of the boxes he made for Ferne's remains. :(   They're beautiful and sturdy. Love the dove-tails.Inside, there are compartments. One is for Ferne's egg shell which I still have. Another is for feathers from his first (and second) wing trims. The third compartment holds the last feathers he molted. And the top shelf holds his remains.  Free Blog Counter

No comments: