Sunday, February 17, 2013

02_2013 Cams and Bird Feeder Work

A fine winter project that I had avoided for several years was cleaning, inspecting, and re-slinging a bunch of climbing cams. I try to stick by the maximum of five-years rule for soft goods (e.g., slings and webbing), but by this year I had exceeded that rule of thumb so it was time. First, I cut off all the old slings, then I carefully cleaned each cam in an ultrasonic parts cleaner. This was a tedious process that took about four hours to clean basically 100 cams. In the end, I sent out 58 cams to Mountain Tools in California to re-sling the units with some nice color coded nylon-spectra slings. Here are the cams just before shipping them out all clean and organized by desired sling color. About ten days later, the cams re-appeared with nice, new shiny color-coded slings. :) Ready for the desert! :) :) Another quick household project was to devise a way to stop our pig-like raccoons from consuming vast quantities of expensive bird seed. First I had tried raising the feeders higher than they were, but apparently they were still able to reach the pot of gold. Callie saw one shape-shift into a long skinny weasel type beast to reach the feeders. So, we slid a piece of slippery pvc pipe over the bird feeder pole and I stapled some polyethylene sheeting onto the deck rails where they would stand to reach the feeders. My thought was to make it very difficult for them to gain sufficient purchase to finagle their way to the seed buffet. So far, it appears to be working! :) Free Blog Counter

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice new shiny color-coded slings. Really interesting to know how to repair them.
Webbing Slings