Sunday, February 26, 2012

02_25-26_12 The Stanley - Estes Park, Co

Dave and I don't celebrate Valentine's Day on Feb 14th. Just never have. Instead, we celebrate on Feb 27th. Why? Because we can. And because it's the anniversary of our engagement...our engageversary. (Technically that is tomorrow, but work is in the way of our being able to celebrate).

This year, we celebrated by taking a mini-vacation to Estes Park, Co where we stayed in The Stanley Hotel. The Stanley is steeped in history and fun. From their website: "The Stanley Hotel, known for its architecture, magnificent setting and famous visitors, may possibly be best known today for its inspirational role in Stephen King's novel, "The Shining". The hotel has been featured as one of America's most haunted hotels and with the numerous stories from visitors and staff, The Stanley Hotel continues to "shine" today, as it did in 1909 when first opened."

Yes, the Shining. Besides the beauty and locale of the place, this may be what it is best known for. On channel 42 on the hotel tvs, The Shining loops 24/7. Lots of "REDRUM" and "Here's Johnny" can be heard throughout the hotel. Or, maybe just wherever Dave was.

We drove up in 66 degree weather excited at a chance to get out and hike. I was armed with my binoculars and bird book. When we arrived, it was clear that outdoor activities would not happen. Big wind, I mean, big, cold wind had arrived. By morning it was 21 degrees with flurries. The high peaks looked beautiful from afar. No doubt a miserable place to find oneself though.

We had a nice dinner in the hotel. The food was actually reasonable and delicious. We shared a caesar salad that gets the award from best in presentation (though a restaurant in Boulder maintains the title to the tastiest caesar salad still).

The hotel restaurant/bar have a very cool drink menu. Lots of unusual drinks with very unusual names. There was the "Redrum Punch" which we had (similar to a Mai Tai). Then we shared some spritzer drink (forgot the name). Delicious! It had champagne, fizzy water and Elderberry liquor. Yum.

We piddled around the hotel this morning and enjoyed a breakfast in the hotel. I had hoped that we could do one of the hotel tours. Sadly, they were full. They must be extensive as the last 1.5 hour or so. They cover the haunting of the place as well as the Shining stuff. Also, the place is associated with the Stanley Steamer so it goes over that. I have it on my list to go back for the tour if only for that.

After checking out, we drove to town thinking we may want to walk around. The big winds + 21 degrees even had Dave not wanting to get out of the car. While we didn't get out, we did see several Ravens and some Pygmy Nuthatches out and about which was nice.

We drove home slowly stopping in Lyons to enjoy a Chai Tea and goof off in the bike store. Then home.It was a really nice time and something we need to do more of. Now that we've left, I'll read up on how haunted the place is. I'm glad I didn't know before hand so I didn't manage to scare myself somehow.

I think a next fun mini-vacation will be to fly to Dulles and spend the day in the new Air & Space. I went there on my last trip to DC and it was awesome! Be fun to spend the night there and come home. I'll have to put on my thinking cap for more mini-vacation ideas.









Free Blog Counter


No comments: