Wednesday, April 6, 2011

03_02_2011 SoCal adventure part II

Dave here... So, we're a little behind on entries, but here is part II of the SoCal long weekend adventure... After a few days hanging around Palos Verdes chasing birds and sunsets, Kenny, Deb and I headed out for some lobstering in the nearby bay off San Pedro Friday night.

The scheme is pretty simple; head out just before sunset, load your lobster traps with some nice smelly salmon remnants, drop the traps, wait until maybe 30-60 minutes after sunset, pull up nets and retrieve dinner! Since I don't have an official fishing/lobstering license, I could not "participate" legally, so I just drank a couple of beers and watched the experts at work.

I had never gone lobstering before, so it was pretty novel. Ken & Deb go fairly frequently and usually manage to catch quite a few "bugs" as they call them. Note the non-wilderness setting just off the shipping jetty - apparently the lobsters really like hanging out around the underwater boulders that make up the jetty... A good time was had by all and 5 full sized lobsters were brought home for a tasty dinner :-)

The next morning Kenny and I got up early and headed East to Joshua Tree National Monument for 2 days of climbing. I was very excited to get out there as it was going to be my first time climbing since my arm injury in late September! The weather looked great and Kenny was also psyched to get out climbing. We arrived to find Joshua Tree pretty quiet with not many climbers around really nice weather. We climbed about 12 classic routes around the Hidden Valley area.

My arm did pretty well and we had a great time. We enjoyed the classic sunset ritual of a cold beer in the "Space Station" at the end of the first day. After the second day, it was time to head back to LA, pack up and fly home. Back to work... Thanks to Kenny & Deb for hosting me and showing me the ways of the lobster boat :-)
















Free Blog Counter


1 comment:

SteelMonkey said...

damn, them's some big lobstahs!!!