Sunday, March 13, 2011

03_2001 Dave plays in SoCal and J-Tree

Dave here...Last week I flew out for a long weekend to visit my friend Kenny and his family in Rancho Palos Verdes, California.

This beautiful area lies on a somewhat isolated peninsula between LA and Long Beach. The area has very pretty quiet beaches and lots of vegetation on the hillsides that rise from the sea.

Generally there are supposed to be quite a few species of birds flitting about in the vegetation. I didn't have the best weather conditions for chasing birds but I did manage to see a few between the coastal areas and the South Coast Botanic Gardens a few miles inland.

I also spent some time trolling the beaches late in the day to shoot a few sunset photos. I came across a very cute baby seal. I wasn't sure if he was just being lazy or if he was injured or sick. I spent some time talking to him but he couldn't tell me how he felt. I even scratched his head. Eventually the tide came in enough at sunset and he swam out to sea. I hope he was okay.

Anyway, here are some bird and scenic shots from the area. I hope you enjoy them. We'll also post up another entry soon to show some pics from the two days of climbing Kenny and I enjoyed in Joshua Tree.
































Free Blog Counter


2 comments:

Dirk & Nancy said...

how about some bird ids, huh? I got the rufous hummingbird (a beaut!) but what about the others?

Callie said...

Bird ID's from the top:
Bushtit
Yellow Rumped Warbler (2 shots)
Song Sparrow
Red Shouldered Hawk
Western Scrub Jay
Black Phoebe
Orange Crested Warbler
:-)