Monday, June 21, 2010

05_2010 Spring Time in Boulder

Spring time finally arrived in Boulder a month or so ago. We have been spending some time outdoors enjoying it. Though it's been a really wet spring, there haven't been many flowers.

Nonetheless, Dave found some and got some nice photos of them with some Iconic Boulder backdrops. Nice stuff!

I admit however, that I like the birds the best! Check out some of these gorgeous birds he was able to photograph. The first one shown is the Yellow-Breasted Chat. These are some seriously silly birds who "hide in bushes making weird noises."

The description is perfect! Boulder wouldn't be the same without a healthy dose of Spotted Towhees singing from treetops.

Also shown is the Lark Sparrow. This cute guy was found near Eldorado Springs (South Mesa Trail head).

Also in abundance are the Bullock's Orioles. These birds are very fun to watch. They are fussy!

House Wrens seem to be in abundance this year. In fact, we have some nesting in the nest box on our front porch. They may be a bit plain to look at, but their song makes up for that. I find them adorable.

Blue-Gray Gnatcatchers are around in big numbers too. Dave got a nice photo of this male (note the black eyebrow).


We've seen several Western Tanagers as well. Check out this one with the bug in his mouth! (Or bug leg may be all that remains). These birds are always a treat. They are so beautiful.

Lots of others too - Lazuli buntings, Cedar Waxwings, Hummingbirds galore! Enough of my yapping. Enjoy the pretty Spring time in Boulder!





















Free Blog Counter


2 comments:

nancy said...

Did somebody get a new lens?! There's some envious grumbling going on down here in the SO hemisphere... Great pics! Makes me appreciate those CO birds more, now that I see what they really look like! I hadn't realized how feeble my old binos were. I like the chat photo, I always loved hearing them, but hadn't seen how pretty they are. And what kind of hummer is that?! Doesn't look like the broad-tails we always had in Eldo (or the rufous that occasionally stopped by for a few days). Were these birds at Dowdy Draw or Gregory canyon?

daveandcallie said...

These birds were taken within a half mile of the South Mesa Trail Head. Lots of Chats there!

I couldn't see the rascal hummer good enough to ID him. :( So, for now, he is "a hummer."

I am sorry to hear someone else has the lens bug. It causes a lot of twitching and restless nights - at least that is what I witnessed!