Sunday, March 1, 2009

2/27 - Estrallita and some surprises

It was another baking hot day here in Potrero. Today we got up early - at first light - to climb Estrallita. this is a 12 pitch (by the book) 5.11b climb. It is quite pretty and tops at a pinnacle with a lone palm tree.

We made breakfast, then hiked over. Happily, the route was open. We geared up and Dave took off. He linked the first two pitches. Then I followed. We continued up linking pitches. Two that I linked were very fun, but the last forty feet were brutal from rope drag. I could barely make any upward progress. Lots of extra training points on that!

We topped to the palm tree. It was sunny on top, but cool. And we made good time turning the twelve pitches into seven.

On the summit, we took some obligatory summit photos. Then we shared a protein bar and some chocolate that Dave brought up as a surprise. We had to eat it pretty quickly given the heat.

As I was sitting looking out over town, I turned back to see Dave there with a jewelry box asking if I'd marry him. I couldn't have been more surprised!

Of course, I said yes.

In the box was a sapphire and diamond pendant. SPARKLY! We took more photos and enjoyed the last gooey chocolate. We spent about an hour on the summit enjoying it all.



After rapping, we came back to camp to have a celebratory dinner and drinks. It was a clear night and the moon and Venus were extra spectacular. Another beautiful night in Mexico!



Free Blog Counter


3 comments:

TheKate said...

OMG - I finally have a reason to comment! Congrats, Callie! Paul & I are both jumping up and down (honestly, there is bouncing) at the great news! We will have to cook a celebratory meal for the two of you next time we meet - I just hope it lives up to Dave's pasta dishes.

Velma said...

I am so excited for you!

Wilder said...

How beautiful and memorable! You two are soooo lucky!