Saturday, March 7, 2009

03/03-05/09 - Space Boys, some cragging, and the mother of all hikes! :)

We got up slowly and headed into the Chico. To our surprise, Space Boys, and 1100' 5.10d (11 pitches by the book) route was unoccupied.


Very surprising. So, off we went. It was a bit cool at the base but after a few pitches, it was very nice. We cruised, switched leads here and there. And I only whine a wee bit on the power crux move. Very pretty face climbing for sure. I really enjoyed it.

While on it, we watched some friends from British Columbia ascending Dope Ninja. I got a few photos of them on it and was able to send it to them. It's always fun to get a photo like this.

Can you see them on the route? :)

We hung out at the summit for a while enjoying the view, then began them many rappels back to the base. For these, we simul-rappelled to save some time.

It was cool getting to do this climb mostly because I thought we'd never have the opportunity. Every other days the thing was crawling with climbing and rapping climbers. On one occasion, we saw NINE people on the thing.

Pretty crazy given the amount of loose rock on it. It's not really a good one to be on with people climbing above. Not a soul other than us was on it for our ascent which was really nice.

The following day - the 4th - we cragged. We spent some time at the Wonder Wall and in Virgin Canyon. We did what I thought was the best pitch of the trip - Bad Cop, No Donut (.11c). I just loved the climbing on this thing! We did many other climbs up to 5.12...well, I should say Dave got on the 5.12 pitches. I belayed on those. I was getting tired and very much ready for a rest day. We didn't take the camera out with us on this day.

The next day was a rest day. Well, at least it was for Dave the super human. As a mere mortal, I found it as much - nay, more - work than climbing! We decided to hike up to the top of El Toro. Camp is at about 2,000' and the top of the hike is at about 5,000'. Not an easy grade - it was steep - for a hike either.

Especially in 90 degree plus weather. And the cactus. And thorns. And barbed-wire. Dave charged right up it with a big smile on his face.


I whimpered, bled and grumbled, but I made it. The photos are funny because I can't even fake a smile. I was crabby and my feet were KILLING ME!


The view was pretty from up there. It almost made up for the heat stroke and being crippled. :)



Free Blog Counter


No comments: