Monday, November 10, 2008

10/23 to 11/08/2008 - Does Callie lead climbs anymore?

Yeah, I've been asked (and taunted) by more than a few people about this. Why don't our climbing trips ever show me leading climbs?



The answer is really simple - it's because I've not been leading much lately. And I'm bummed about this. I feel like a big loser, or even worse, one of those girlfriends.



We've all seen those girlfriends. The ones that the boyfriends or husbands drag up everything. Somehow we view them as not a real climber. And this is likely not a fair assessment. But it's what many people think. I don't want to become one of those girlfriends. I like leading. I want to get back to it.

Why haven't I been leading? Well, mostly because the stuff we climb here out west is very, very different than what I'm accustomed to. Nothing is steep. Nothing is overhanging. Holds all seem to be vertical (instead of horizontal). Plus, Dave climbs far harder stuff. Should I try to lead some of what we've gotten on, I'd be a bloody smudge on the side of a rock somewhere by now.



It wasn't always this way. I used to lead all the time. And as you can see, there is photographic evidence of this. (A couple of photos are chopped off. If you click on them, you can see the full photo).



My hope on this trip was that there would be a lot of stuff I could lead. I'd even hoped that we could swing leads on some multipitch climbs. While there was no lead swinging, I did lead some stuff, though not much.



Why not? First, I didn't realize that Cochise is land of the slab. If one loves climbing slab, I say RUN, don't walk to Cochise. You will be in heaven. I hate slab. Yes, I can climb it, but I really, really don't enjoy it. I'm baffled as to why some people I know prefer it.

(Incidentally, while in Cochise, we spent some time talking with Peter Croft. One of the first things he said was that he doesn't care for slab. I somehow felt vindicated!)

This explains the lack of multipitch leading since this mostly occurred on Sheepshead - Dome o' slab.

A couple of days in Cochise, I did some leading. Once, Dave and I head to the Trad Rock area to get on some single pitch steeper stuff.

On our hike up to the wall, we saw out first (of many) rattlesnakes. Dave came very close to this beast. It took us a little time to figure out how to get around him and continue on our way. Nasty bugger.



While there, we did several climbs (all of which I don't recall the names). They were okay climbs. And at least I was leading!



While climbing there, Dave was silly doing is "rappelling accident" routine. This is an old trick he and some friends used to pull at Devil's Tower to scare the tourists. Ha!



Another day, Vicky, Diane (some women camping near us) and I went to the east side and climbed at Voodoo Dome. This provided about 7 pitches of steep - and in some cases overhanging - routes to play on. I lead them all. It was a great time and I even felt some fatigue in my arms. Glorious fatigue! I don't have any photos of this day since I didn't have the camera. Maybe Diane or Vicky can provide some.



So, while I did some leading, it wasn't much. Our next trip is suppose to be to Red Rocks near Vegas over Thanksgiving. That blog entry should provide lots more evidence that I've not become one of those girlfriends.




Free Blog Counter


2 comments:

nancy said...

no taunting from here, you're doing some cool climbs! But of course I've been taunted as being one of those girlfriends... As long as your leader is having fun and you're having fun, that seems most important! You lead when you good and well want to!

nancy said...

Besides, you're a stud muffin--no denying that! :o)