Tuesday, July 8, 2008

7/02/2008 Devil's Tower - Day 2

We got up early and headed out. The weather was pretty except a bit hazy. This turned out to be a result of not only the California wild fires, but also Canadian wild fires. We drove straight to the tower. As we arrived, the sky was threatening rain. We decided to head up and climb as much as we could anyway. I doubted we'd get anything but the hike to the base completed. Turns out I was wrong though.



We ended up climbing three routes: McCarthy's West Face (1st pitch), Tulgey Wood (2 pitches) and Mr. Clean (2 pitches). We didn't plan on getting high given that is was threatening to rain (and did rain on us though we ignored it). :)



To my surprise given the complete lack of crimpers, I did every pitch clean, no hangs, no falls, no whimpering. Dave of course cruised them all in style. I even lead the first pitch of Mr. Clean. It was fun - it'd been a while since trad leading and finally I had someone to critique my gear placement. Mr. Clean was crazy long - 160' of non-stop climbing. At the top, I was making some noise, though it wasn't whining. When I got to the top, Dave asked "How'd you like it?" All I could utter was "painful". He lowered me and in about 20 minutes, my brain began functioning again and I could speak more than one word at a time. It was a great climb.



We drove to Frank Sander's property and set up the camper. His place is walking distance from the Tower and evidentially a hang-out for climbers. We got to meet Frank and others. Everyone was awesome. I was completely zonked from the climbing and cratered after fighting sleep. I made it all the way to 8:30pm.





No comments: