Sunday, September 6, 2015

07_23_to_08_04_2015 Uintas-Lover's Leap Road Trip, Part II

Our next stop on the trip was Lover's Leap California. Dave had climbed here a long time ago, and it was my first time. I'd heard a lot about the horizontal dikes. Somehow, I took this to mean it was a face-climbing locale. It's not!

Quite beautiful nonetheless.
We arrived and sat up camp then walked the original Pony Express Trail to a climb.

Of course, I can't remember what it was. It was fun but it was during this route that I recognized it was not a face climbing area at all.
Summit shot before hiking down the backside and back to camp.
A view of the largest part of the wall from the Pony Express Trail.
The next day we did a few climbs - one of which was the multi-pitch Corrugation Corner. Fun stuff even with chimneys and offwidths.
Here I am coming up a corner.
And there I am waaaaaay down there coming up some other corner.
Just before the mandatory belly flop-beached whale maneuver on this route.
Blargh! I'm flopping and my leg is stuck. Given I'm home and typing this, you can see I eventually got my leg out and flopped over to the anchors.
Pretty climb.
Monkeying around at the top of the climb
There are sugar pines at the top and lots of pine cones. this is actually a very small one.
The Strawberry Lodge with the Leap in the background.
The campground was really nice (far nicer than what we had in Utah). And it was only 10$ a night. A total bargain.
The Stellar's Jays were loads of fun at camp. 

No comments: