Saturday, January 24, 2015

10_25_to 11_01_2014 Better Late than Never! Red Rocks Climbing, Part I

Early in the semester, I saw that the last week of October was open in my calendar. That's a really rare event! So I blocked it off and we headed to Red Rocks near Vegas.

The weather was perfect. We rented the smallest car ever - and it was a gem. We got it back to the Black Velvet parking lot multiple times without  a problems. It's got such a short wheel base and not nose or tail so it went down into the deep and steep washes without effort! Hilarious!
After arriving and before heading to Dick and Natalie's house, we head to Black Velvet and climbed Sour Mash, a six-pitch 5.10a (or something) route. Great climbing!  Dave had last done this route in about 2006, and I'd done it in about 1999.  Very fun!
Black Velvet Canyon never gets old.
Gearing up at the base....
Posing with your now-always-worn brain buckets.
Off Dave goes on the first pitch.
Nearing the top.
Great views.
There were only about three other people back in the canyon. It was awesome. It was only topped later in the trip when we can and climbed having the canyon totally to ourselves all day!
I'm coming up some pitch here. We rapped the route then hiked out. We headed to Dick and Natalie's home. I'd not been to their new place and I'd not yet met their new dog Munchkin.  Always great to see them!
The next day, Dick joined us and we headed in to do some more climbing. Here is Dave heading up the first pitch of The Next Century. This day had the worst weather...much colder than it looked. Though I'm sure others would say "worst" is hardly accurate. Dave liked it. I froze. I did one pitch then rapped to sit in the sun.
The view out of the canyon. We are in Juniper Canyon for this route.
Dick completed the climb with Dave.

While they were rapping, I heard some terrible screaming. Turns out the party next to us had dislocated his shoulder. Obviously that is VERY painful. We went over to help them out (his leader was up the long first pitch and needed a 2nd rope to descend). Then we assisted as he tried to get his shoulder back into socket. It took a very long and painful time for this to happen. Dave was able to gently tug on it and it exploded back in place. The poor guy's relief was palpable!  We all hiked out together and headed back to the house.

No comments: