Wednesday, November 26, 2014

10_29_2014 Visting Clare, Pickle and Data in Pahrump!

About 8 years ago, I adopted out Pickle, my last Lilac Crowned baby to a wonderful couple - Clare and Calvin. At the time, they lived near Mountain Home Arkansas. It seems it'd be difficult to adopt out my babies, but when they go to great homes, it's not that difficult. I've stayed in touch all these years, but I've never had the opportunity to visit. That finally changed in the end of Oct. We'd planned to go visit in the spring, but Dave's mountain bike accident forced us to cancel the trip to Vegas and the accompanying trip to Pahrump. Clare moved there several years ago after Calvin passed away. During a trip to Vegas to climb (blog coming...I promise!), we headed over the pass to see Clare, Pickle and Clare's other bird Data an African Gray. We greeted Clare with a bouquet of flowers. She looks fabulous!
After all these years, it was apparent that Pickle remembers me. He was happy to see me and really responded to some songs I used to sing to him as a baby.  Like all of my Amazons, he was finishing up his annual molt.
Pickle's nickname has always been "Screwy Lewy."  He's a bit curly due to a calcium deficiency as a youngster. He's healthy but has a bit of scoliosis as a result. He is clearly a male Lilac Crown - he showed us his tough-guy routine but couldn't help but show how sweet he is too.
Dave, Clare and I spent the afternoon visiting and had lunch at a local Chinese restaurant. It was great catching up with Clare and we really look forward to seeing her on our next trip out west. I'm not sure when it'll be, but I can assure you we won't wait 8 more years!

No comments: