Saturday, August 31, 2013

07_2013 Crested Butte - Camping and Riding

A week after the Courage Classic, we loaded up the Great White and headed to Crested Butte. I can't believe it'd been two years since we were there. Our goal was just to relax, see flowers (it is the wild flower capital of CO), and mountain bike ride. 
We arrived and camped at the campground (Cement Creek Campground) in South Crested Butte we had a couple of years before. We felt fortunate to find a nice spot on such a popular weekend. We hopped on the bikes and rode a ways up the road (Cement Creek Road) to Dead Man's Gulch, then zipped back to camp.
The next morning, we did some bigger rides. I rode up to the Reno divide on the dual track. This ride was about, I dunno 10 miles each way. At the top, I stopped and ate lunch looking at the Maroon Bells that I could see. Lovely!   It was quite steep in sections and a good challenge. I was pleased I made it!
Dave opted for a bigger route that started on the section to the Reno divide that I did. He continued on to Flag Creek, then Bear Creek, then Deadman's Gulch. It was a big ride. And steep. And hard. And fun.  Exactly the sort of thing he likes.
He enjoyed a lot of beautiful views. Doesn't this lovely single track look fun? Unfortunately he (nor I) could stop and rest on our rides as the Black Flies were heinous! They were like the worst workout coach ever - "GET UP AND GET MOVING!!!!"
That single track looked far more fun than some of the parts of his ride that were destroyed from motorcyclists abusing the track. Look at the depth of that rut.
The 29er was awesome.
He is heading down that track and up and over the far ridge. Big day.
Near the end, he came to this section. I can't imagine how but he rode his bike over that log! Gah!
By the time he arrived home, I was off on my bike going into town for a few things from the store. Could have lived without them, but it's a nice ride to I opted to go. I got back and we all started enjoying the evening. 
Day two we rode into Crested Butte proper from Cement Creek. While riding down the highway, we were passed by Julie and Quinn who stopped. It was HOT! We rendezvoused above the ski area (steep getting there!) and the guys took off for some big gnarly ride. They pointed to some track and told me it was easy. Off I went. They were on crack! It was awful! I turned around grumbling at them. Learned later they didn't realize I was pointing to a particular route that I thought I was supposed to go on. I didn't know the route they thought I should take was 'over there.' :/  
They rode from Schofield Pass to the full 401 trail. This involved going up Schoefield at 10,700' then climb on nice steep single track to 11,300', then begin the long descending traverse that the 401 is famous for. Many flowers and many sections with incredible views! It does require one's full attention in several spots. Gah!
The second part of the 401 is not nearly as crowded, but still offers challenging and beautiful riding with several difficult climbs to keep one's legs burning. Then they came back down to town.

While riding, it looked like they may get rained on, but it didn't happen.
Great views!
Great views all around!  They came back to Crested Butte and we all had lunch at a local pizza place. It was lovely. Dave and I hopped on our bikes to head back to Crested Butte South.

Worst. Headwinds. Ever.

Then it started raining.

Not. Fun.

Happily Julie and Quinn drove up when I was about 7 miles shy of camp. I leaped into their truck practically before they asked if I wanted a ride! I think this made for about a 22 mile day for me. When we caught up to Dave, he had only about 4 miles to go to complete is 56 mile total ride. He opted to ride in the rain. :/

That night it rained and rained and rained. We finally packed up in the rain and headed home. In spite of the few headwinds and rain, it was a great weekend!!

No comments: