Friday, November 9, 2012

09_16 to 18_2012 On to Sedona on the AZ trip...

On Sunday morning we met our friend Mike from Phoenix in Sedona. The plan was to hike in and climb Oak Creek Spire, a classic sandstone tower in the beautiful back country of Sedona. Greg decided to hike in with us and shoot some pictures while taking a break from the actual tower climb, which he has done before. So, Mike and I suited up and started up Oak Creek Spire.
The climbing is classic desert stuff with cracks, some sandy and suspect rock, but great position with a dose of adventure! After 3 pitches we reached a very cool summit with fantastic views!
There is an optional jump across the split of the tower to ascend the highest summit, but we opted to avoid any gravity incidents and be satisfied with the lower summit.
The jump across looked kinda crazy and with my recent string of injuries, I decided to not take any unnecessary chances :)
We enjoyed the views from the summit, rappelled down to Greg at the base and proceeded to hike out (a somewhat thrashy hike I might add…).
After getting to the car we rinsed off, had some sandwiches in town, then Greg dropped me off at the Phoenix airport to fly home. A great weekend!! Many thanks to Greg, the Arizona host!
Oh, and I was so excited to get home and see the best wife ever - Callie. I missed her so much, I could hardly see straight. I'm such a lucky guy. Heh heh (maybe Dave did not type that).
Free Blog Counter

No comments: