Monday, January 24, 2011

01_13 to 18_2011 Mom and Rachel Visit CO

Mom and Rachel decided to come to Boulder for a visit. When asked what they wanted to do, they didn't respond with any suggestions. That gave me full ability to do what I wanted. They are lucky that I'm so nice...I didn't have us embarking on a hiking bonanza or a four day bike tour. Hee hee.

First up was some time at the Essentials Spa in town. Each of us were scheduled for a signature facial. For some reason, even when faced with this, they both continued to look like they were awaiting sentences for some heinous crime. After the facial, we had professional make up application then headed to Sherpas Restaurant for a nice lunch.

Another event I had planned was for us to attend our very first Afternoon Tea. I made reservations at the St. Julien Hotel and it was great fun. Excellent tea, atmosphere, food items, etc. I look forward to doing this again!

Enough with the classy stuff, we did some sight-seeing too. Not just your average sight-seeing, but the sort that one shouldn't really own up to. :/ We drove up four-mile canyon and looked at some of the burned acreage. Very sad. We ended our trip in Gold Hill and stopped in the Cafe for some hot chocolate. It's actually only my second time there the first being a couple of years ago when Dave and I mountain-biked up there. It's really great that the fire-fighters were able to save Gold Hill.

Another stop on our sight-seeing tour by car was to drive by the home where Jon Benet Ramsey was murdered. I hadn't been by it though I'd driven nearby several times. Grim.

No tour in Boulder would be complete without a stop at Chautauqua Park to get a photo of the Flat Irons. Doesn't everyone who comes to Boulder have this photo? It's for a good reason that we all have it - it's beautiful.

Another stop was one for my Dad. 30 years ago or so he ate at a restaurant in Denver (actually Lakewood) he remembered being very unusual. We looked it up and headed out one night...it's the amazing Casa Bonita! It was definitely unusual. People diving off faux cliffs and other assorted things. I hear a man dressed in a gorilla suit goes around and is angry. I'm happy I didn't see him. I don't think I would have liked it. It was bizarre - a bit of a child's Vegas place in the Denver area. Who knew?

And finally, no trip here would be complete without some climbing. Off to the plastic palace we went. Mom declined the opportunity to scale the walls, but Rachel gave it a try. First we took the slide from upstairs to down, then she did her first every rock climbing. I *think* she liked it. I hope she found it fun.

I think those were some of the highlights from their trip. It was good having them here. Hopefully they'll want to come again one day.







Free Blog Counter


No comments: