Monday, September 20, 2010

09_20_2010 Wind + Ash = Crazy Sky

The winds were big again today: 55 mph here at the house. I am forever amazed that the trees here all don't come down during these storms. But given how frequently we get big winds, the weak trees cratered long ago for sure.

While the speed of the winds wasn't unusual, what they caused was. With all of the nearby ash from the four-mile fire, the winds stirred up and created a mess in the sky. A beautiful mess.

So much ash was in the air that citizens were calling the fire department to report a new big fire. Sitting in the house, I could taste the ash in my mouth even. There was no fire, just a lot of ash in the air.

I went outside to check it out as the light changed to weird spooky colors inside. Outside, I was treated to some amazing skies that changed really quickly. I didn't come close to capturing the best of it, but I did snap four shots with the point and shoot. Even with my poor photography skills, they look neat.

Though it doesn't look that way, this is an hour before sunset. I can only imagine how much better they would appear to you had Dave got some shots with the good camera. Enjoy!



Free Blog Counter


No comments: