Thursday, July 15, 2010

06_24 to 07_01 2010 – Gnarly weather in Cancun, MX

After only 4 days at home, I headed for Cancun, MX for some R&R. I admit, I think Cancun is lame - it's full of screeching drunk and obnoxious Texans enjoying what seems to be their first beers and chain-smoking Europeans in tiny weenie-bikinis.

Lame, yeah, but there I was.

Why? It's cheap. I just wanted to get hot and tan and have a pool and a hotel room. If one can ignore the two major problems with the locale, it is an inexpensive way to re-charge.

So months ago, I made these plans - 8 days of sun, heat and tan. Dave didn't want to go so it's a solo trip. How could I have know it'd be the first friggin' tropical storm of the season. WAY early. WAY WAY early.

The flight into Cancun was epic. It took pathetic American Airlines 24+ hours to get me here. This included a night in the Dallas Westin. After yet another broken plane, we were flying over the Gulf of Mexico. We passed over Houston to get to the Gulf, far west of the oil spill....but wait, what was all that stuff I could clearly see from 37,000 feet up??? Oil. Lots of sheen and lots of gnarly looking arms of oily glob. How sad was that?

Once here, I wondered why I was so anxious to arrive. 40+mph winds, crazy rain, lightning. Blargh. A nightmare.

It did lend itself to a nice sunset on the first night. I was able to capture some of the color and beauty with the point and shoot.

The next several days SUCKED. No way to sugar-coat it. I spent most of my time in my room watching the one channel of (bad, very bad) TV. And going to the 'gym' in the hotel. In three short days I think I gave myself elbow tendinitis! I've done over 100 push-ups each day, 90+ lat pull downs, 50 curls, etc. You get the message. I've been so desperate as to run. RUN. Me. gack.

On Monday the sun came out and my sour attitude improved. I even got some tan lines. The sun was healing enough that I tolerated the 40+ mph winds even. :) For the first time in a couple of days I was able to walk the grounds of the hotel - well at least the parts that are open. The winds have managed to close a fair amount of the place. Poor palm trees!

Not sure why, maybe I could finally see them, but one day offered some really cool views of Magnificant Frigatebirds. I've seen these beautiful birds before, but never in these numbers. I couldn't accurately count them above 70. So gorgeous (sorry the photos just show tiny specks!). The following day, I counted over 120 of them! It was so cool!

In reality, only one day during my trip was okay though really windy. I can't complain though. I've been going to Mexico for R&R since 1983 and this is the first time the weather has really be terrible.

Next up is a trip to Houston where Dave and I can "enjoy" the same tropical storm/hurricane. Ha!


Free Blog Counter


No comments: