Tuesday, October 14, 2008

10/09/08 - Indian Creek and Broken Tooth Wall



We got up after a much needed night of sleep and enjoyed a warm breakfast in the Cougar. Then we hit the road. We had about 2.5 hours to get to Indian Creek and meet up with our friend Peggy Oki. We'd not seen Peggy since Dave and I met in Joshua Tree. We were all looking forward to seeing her again.



Driving was far less stressful than it had been the night before. Curves were easy, speed was no problem, braking was a breeze. Even when 18-wheelers came by us from the other direction, we could feel nothing. Maybe we were numb!



Driving into Indian Creek is breathtaking. I've only been here once before, the views were as amazing this time as the first time. I found myself taking the same photos that I took last trip!



We were heading to Creekside Pasture to set up our mobile building. Peggy had scoped it out for us and was waiting for us in the spot. Quinn, another friend, was out in Indian Creek climbing with his friend Rick. We found his truck and left him a note as to where to find us when he was done climbing.



We got to Creekside Pasture, set up house then headed out to climb. Peggy and Dave rode in the front and I chose to ride in the back. Our first stop was the Broken Tooth Wall. In Bloom's guide of Indian Creek, Broken Tooth is described as a "small but stellar buttress. Not only does it have nice climbs, but it was also close and the hike up was relatively short. This was important since there wasn't a lot of daylight left.



We managed to get in two pitches: Unnamed (5.11-, 120'. This climb is to the left of Dental Floss Tycoon), and Blue Sky Mining (5.10+, 50').



I climbed the bottom portion of Unnamed. Well, by climbed, I mean I lay-backed it until I was wrecked.



Then I yarded up on the rope for about 90' to the top. What a grueling workout that was (as evidenced by my sore rump then next day).



While I may be the suckiest Indian Creek climber ever (no, I AM the suckiest IC climber ever), I can at least get to the top of any climb. It isn't pretty, but I get to the top.



It was windy. Most of the time that Peggy was climbing, her pigtail was flying up in the air. Little did we know that this would be the least windy day of the trip!



Dave and Peggy both climbed Blue Sky Morning and enjoyed it. I sat this one out. I'd tweaked my days before getting crushed on pitch one of the Naked Edge and my stellar performance on the last one climb had aggravated the injury.



We headed back to the Cougar and enjoyed a nice meal. Peggy, Quinn and Rick all dropped by.



Quinn was enjoying my "Death in Yosemite" book (it is fascinating). We had a fun happy hour and caught up with each other.



The Cougar ROCKS!




<-- BlogCounter Code START -->

Free Blog Counter


No comments: