Tuesday, September 9, 2008

9/05/08 - San Juan Bike Tour - Telluride to Dolores - Day 2



We got up and enjoyed the best free continental breakfast ever! Real pastries, good food. We highly recommend the Camel's Garden Hotel!



We hopped on our bikes and headed out. Today we would be going from Telluride to Dolores. This involves going over Lizard Head Pass, a gain of about 3,500 feet, and a distance of about 67 miles.



Somehow I got it into my brain that this was not going to be hard day at all. Pffft. It wasn't heinous, but it wasn't a piece of cake. It was long and it had a lot of climbing. It also involved some really beautiful views.



Like all of our rides, Dave is much faster than I am. He's faster uphill. He's faster on flats. Heck, he's even (way) faster downhill. He can coast downhill while I peddle like a fiend to try and keep up with him. It's crazy. (Well, considering he has more muscle in his quadriceps than I have in my entire body, maybe it's not so surprising). Regardless of the reason, in general during our rides he is quite a bit in front of me.





At one point during the day, I pulled into Rico, Colorado. This is a small "town." I pulled up to see a huge LIQUOR sign and Dave sitting beneath it drinking. Drinking a Red Bull! It was quite funny.



The few local drunks hanging outside had several comments about how we were drinking Red Bull. I guess it seemed odd to them since they were already hammered and it wasn't even noon. Oh well.



Although this was suppose to be our easiest day of riding, the head winds made it brutal. Endless rolling hills, and wicked head winds. I was pretty SICK of them as we pulled into Dolores and checked into the Dolores Mountain Inn. Someone needed a nap and some food.



Dave contemplated calling the Wahbulance but decided a pizza would be a better choice.

It was.





Free Blog Counter


No comments: